Fall is the perfect time to drive the Great River Road, one of America’s most scenic routes. This National Scenic Byway and All-American Road follows the Mississippi River for nearly 3,000 miles through 10 states, from northern Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana.
It’s a great drive any time of year, but every September, we celebrate Drive the Great River Road Month—it’s the perfect time to take in the fall colors as the trees turn red, orange, and yellow, and you’ll find fun fall festivals, farmers’ markets and other attractions no matter where you go.
Whether you’re riding your motorcycle or taking a family trip in the minivan, there’s plenty to discover along America’s greatest drive.
Need some travel inspiration? Here’s some helpful info you can use to plan your trip during Drive the Great River Road Month (or any time of year, really):
- Order your free copy of our 10-state map, which features the top attractions along the Great River Road.
- Our Interpretive Centers (museums, historical sites, and more) tell the story of the Mississippi River and its people, land, and culture. Here’s one Interpretive Center you should visit in each of the 10 states.
- Discover attractions along the Mississippi River, including museums, historical sites, locks & dams, scenic overlooks, and more.
- Explore the northern states of the Great River Road with this five-day itinerary.
- And here’s an itinerary for the southern states along the Great River Road.
- Why was the Great River Road named an All-American Road? Find out here.
- Download the Drive the Great River Road app, available for Apple and Android devices.
Photo: Great River Road in the fall/Illinois Office of Tourism