Fall is the perfect time to drive the Great River Road, one of America’s longest and oldest National Scenic Byways. Vibrant colors paint the trees from Minnesota to northern Mississippi, and you’ll find festivals, farmers markets and fun activities no matter where you travel along the Mississippi River.
That’s why we celebrate Drive the Great River Road Month every September. Whether it’s alone on your motorcycle or with your family in the minivan, you’ll find plenty of reasons on America’s greatest drive.
Here’s some more information you can use to plan your trip during Drive the Great River Road Month (or any time of year, really):
- Order your free copy of our 10-state map, which features the top attractions along the Great River Road.
- Download the Drive the Great River Road app, available for Apple and Android devices.
- Discover attractions along the Mississippi River, including museums, historical sites, locks & dams, scenic overlooks and more.
- Want to sample the flavors of the Great River Road? Find a state-by-state breakdown of restaurants, recipes and more here. You can also share your favorite flavors of the Great River Road with us.
- Read the stories of the people who have traveled the entire road here and here.